Friday, May 30, 2008

Mac life

Last week I crossed over from a loyal PC person to being a Mac user! I needed a new work laptop as my previous Dell was getting on a bit and not quite able to hack the fast pace of life as we live it today. Seeing as several of my friends and colleagues (not to mention all the new research students in my group) have gone the way of the Mac, and were generally very happy with them, I thought I'd join them. So now I have a swish new Macbook Pro (although I was told that a newer version was being released in June I couldn't wait.) So far I've been very impressed. I've had some issues with the keyboard not being as I'm used to ("@" and "~" are in a different place for a start, there's no "Home", "End" of "Delete" keys [although via a bit of googling I've found replacement for these - Ctrl a, Ctrl e, and Fn backspace respectively]), but other than that it's all been good. I'm sure I'll find more annoyances in the future, but at the moment I'm just liking the way it's Linuxy but with everything still working straight off.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14 pm

    Tried typing a # yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the hash key. I have had to use it already for adding comments to bash scripts. I figured that one out myself after remembering that in America they called the hash "pound", so I tried all the Ctrl, Alt, Fn and Apple combinations with "3" until I hit upon the right one.

    ReplyDelete