Sunday, December 31, 2006

Viva Las Vegas

Last night a large group of us went to Vegas. It didn't involve any flying across the Atlantic as you might expect as this Vegas was not located in the USA. For me, however, there was some flying involved as I had to get back up to Glasgow from my Christmas holidays back in St Albans. The Vegas in question was a club night held on a ferry mored on the Clyde in the centre of Glasgow, with a 1950s Las Vegas theme. The reason for our visit was as a leaving do for my friend, colleague and band mate John, who will sadly be moving to Birmingham in the next few days.

This night out obviously required a bit of dressing up. My normal club attire is the same as my normal everyday wear: jeans or combats, t-shirt, hoodie. This didn't seem appropriate, so I decided to dust of my tux, which hasn't seen the light of day for about 5 years. I had a clip-on bow tie to go with the tux, but a clip-on doesn't allow for the cool untied-bow-tie-draped-around-the-neck look, so I bought a proper do-it-yourself version. This required a fair bit of practice, but I think it was worth it. I wasn't the only one to get dressed up and my friends put in a good showing with a variety of natty outfits - we all looked damn fine! In fact the majority of people at the club were also similarly dressed.

The night in all was a resounding success. I think everyone had a really good time and I know that I did. We danced vigorously to various 50s rock 'n' roll and swing type hits. We gambled our fake Elvis dollars on the roulette and black jack tables. We admired the Vegas showgirls in the fetching outfits (you can see them in some of the photos here). All great fun!

The night has inspired us to, I hope, venture beyond our normal Friday night pub outings. We'll definitely be heading back to Vegas again though.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you had fun at Vegas - I think it worked amazingly well! Somewhere that simultaneously pleased Helen, Jen AND Ross! who'd've thunk it?

    I'll send round a link to photos as soon as I can upload them.

    J

    ReplyDelete