Monday, January 28, 2008

Do you want to make it BIGGER!!!

Before the lecture I gave today I was searching on google image search for a nice diagram on how telescope magnification worked. On my cursory glancing I couldn't find any that I thought were particularly good, so I decided to use the highly non-intuitive power of Adobe Illustrator to create one myself. My effort can be seen below. Feel free to use this if you think it's good, or send me any comments on how to make it better, as I still have the Illustrator file which can be edited (I can email this to anyone who wants it.) By the way the image of Jupiter isn't mine - I have to credit Cassini for that.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:29 pm

    Non-intuitive? NON-INTUITIVE?!

    Yeah ok, fair point. As much as I love the Illustrator, I do have to re-teach myself how to draw proper curves with the pen every time I use it.

    Nice diagram, but it might be worth exaggerating it somehow - it's not that obvious that beta is bigger than alpha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:33 pm

    Actually, ignore that - it's much clearer when looked at in landscape, and when I'm not scrolling in a browser!

    ReplyDelete