Thursday, May 10, 2007

DIY curry

Yesterday I made my first curry from scratch. Previously I've always used curry sauces, or pastes, from a jar - often adding my own ingredients to give them a bit extra - and these have in general been very nice. However, the other week I went out and bought a selection of spice in an effort to create the whole curry experience myself. Here's my recipe (to serve one):

  • 1 chicken breast fillet
  • half an onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • half an aubergine
  • 1 tomato
  • 3 tablespoons of yoghurt
  • half a teaspoon of hot chilli powder (Ok so I didn't use fresh chilli's!)
  • half a teaspoon of tumeric
  • half a teaspoon of cumin
  • some finely choped corriander
  • salt and pepper

Chop the chicken into medium sized chunks and fry until brown. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Add in the spices and mix in thoughroughly. Finely chopped tomato, chop the aubergine into medium chunks, and add to the pan. Continue to fry on a low heat for a couple of minutes. Add the yoghurt and leave to simmer for about five mintues. And you're done! Serve with naan bread and/or rice (I had a naan although admittedly I didn't make that from scratch - I just put it in the oven to heat up.)

The curry looked, smelled and tasted really good, although was not particularly hot - I might add more chilli powder, or use some fresh chilli's next time. Cooking the curry from scratch actually took hardly any more time than making it from a jar, but is far more satisfying and allows you to alter the taste as you see fit - also once you've got all the spices and stuff it'll end up cheaper than buying jars of sauce. I'd highly recommend giving it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment