Sunday, July 06, 2008

Ain't talkin' 'bout dub

Getting to see an English language film shown in it's original form without it being dubbed into German is apparently quite a rare thing in Hannover (I suppose for the obvious reason that it's in Germany and generally people are statistically more likely to speak and understand German.) So when a film is being shown in English here it can be a big event for those that can understand it and prefer to see the unadulterated version of the film - you get to hear the actual actors who were paid to star in the film rather than their, not-necessarily similar sounding, German counterparts. I'm giving this set up to lead into a cinema outing that a group of about 25 or more of us (who work at the AEI) went on on Friday evening. Someone had heard that the new Will Smith movie Hancock was being shown (for one showing only) in English, so despite it not being at the top of many people's lists of films to see (I'd heard only bad reviews) we all jumped at the chance of going. Having now watched the film I have to say that I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but it was a decent action movie with good effects and a story that had its funny moments and didn't drag. The film is probably saved by only being about one and a half hours long and if they'd tried to keep it up for longer it would have started grating, although the shortness did mean a lot of stuff had to be left unexplained. I also enjoyed the fact that I could buy a beer in a big multiplex cinema and take it into the screen with me, but that's not really to do with the film.

1 comment:

  1. I had also heard bad things about (and seen unpromising adverts for) Hancock, but maybe I shall give it a shot.
    I went to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut in the cinema at the weekend. Given the minimal talking it would probably be equally understandable in German or English. Seeing it on the big screen is well worth doing, I hadn't realised quite how amazingly bleak it was.

    Just booked some flights to Germany to see you guys on the weekend of 26th July. Looking forward to seeing the wonders of Hannover...

    ReplyDelete