Sunday, August 31, 2008

The bells, the bells

If I were to blast cacophonous music at excessively high volume from my flat, so that it disturbed my whole neighbourhood, then a) I'd be a twat, and b) I'd have my neighbours complaining and the police coming round pretty sharpish. Yet every Sunday morning at about 8.45 I have to put up with just that and there's nothing much I can do about it (other than try and bury my head under my bed covers), because the perpetrators are the local church. They have bells peeling for a good fifteen minutes every hour from 8.45 onwards. They don't even play a catchy tune, it's just random bell ringing, and it's very loud and very annoying. I think church bell ringing (other than on special occasions like weddings and such) is supposed to be a call to pray, but can't the faithful just get themselves alarm clocks so the rest of us can live, and sleep, in peace!?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:08 pm

    I feel your pain. When I was living about three inches from Christuskirche, it was a complete farce. Not so bad here - I can hear them but not enough to wake me up really.

    It's more the semi-random times that annoy me. I can expect Sunday mornings (although <9am is taking the piss) but they also seem to just belt it out whenever they have the urge.


    These days, when most people have *watches*, I do find it a bit rude frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:04 pm

    Have you tried complaining about the disturbance? Don't see any reason why they should treat it differently that any other... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well people have complained before http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/7450702.stm

    ReplyDelete